Lemon Chicken Stir-Fry with CashewsServes:
This zingy lemon chicken is quick to prepare and very tasty. You can adjust the sharpness of the lemon to suit your own tastes. Serve the lemon chicken stir fry with fluffy white rice, try jasmine or basmati.
- a dash of sesame, canola or soy bean oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 1 large stalk celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 carrot peeled, cut longwise and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice – approximately 1 average lemon
- 1 ½ tsp chicken stock powder dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 cup green beans – frozen are fine
- 1 tbsp corn flour dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water
- a handful or two of roasted cashews
- cooked rice to serve
Heat the oil in a wok or heavy based frying pan. Add the chicken in batches, stir frying each batch briskly until sealed (white on the outside but still raw inside), remove from the pan and continue with the next batch until all the chicken is sealed – add a drop more oil to the pan if you need it.
When all the chicken is sealed return it to the pan and add the celery, garlic, ginger, carrot and broccoli. Add the soy sauce and lemon juice and stir fry for a minute or two, then add the chicken stock, brown sugar and honey and stir fry until the vegetables are almost tender then add the beans.
When the beans are cooked, stir in the corn flour and taste to check the seasoning, adding a little more brown sugar or honey if desired. Toss in the cashews just before serving. Serve with cooked rice.
Taste before serving and adjust the sweetness to suit your palate.