Spiced Pumpkin SoupServes:
Silky, spicy,savoury and sophisticated. This is a "next level" pumpkin soup. The sweetness of the pumpkin and tartness of tamarind are delicious and it's easy to make.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium floury potato, scrubbed and cut into 1cm cubes
- 750g pumpkin diced in 1 – 2 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 400ml can coconut milk
- approx 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- a handful of basil or mint leaves, shredded
- salt and pepper to season
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, chilli, star anise, cumin, garlic and diced potato and cook gently for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
Add the pumpkin and stock and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Remove the star anise and discard it then process or blend the mixture until smooth.
Return the soup to the pan, add the coconut milk, soy sauce, tamarind paste, salt and pepper and heat thoroughly, adjusting the seasoning to your taste.Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.
I buy a whole pumpkin which I break open by placing in a plastic bag and throwing hard onto the driveway. Its enormously satisfying and much easier than cutting with a knife.